Posted: 31.07.20 at 15:53 by The Editor
Grantham Bowl says it is "shocked and very disappointed" the venture cannot re-open tomorrow as planned.
The venue off Dysart Road was given just 24 hours notice as Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that tomorrow's planned easing of lockdown restrictions will not happen.
Bowling Alleys were among a range of businesses that would to gain permission to re-open for the first time since the lockdown was imposed in March.
Owner of Grantham Bowl, Karen Slator, told Nub News: "We saw it on tv about Midday. It's a bit of a shock really. Obviously we are shocked and very disappointed.
"We were about to open at 12-noon Saturday, so we were given just 24 hours notice."
Mrs Slator continued: "We really feel sorry for the staff. They have been on furlough. They were keen to come back to work.
"They were really excited but now they can't come back. They will go back on furlough"
The bowling alley has received bookings from tomorrow but they will be refunded or be able to book for another date, when that is allowed by the government.
Karen added: "Hopefully, we will be able to re-open in a couple of weeks. But everything is on hold."
In the meantime, unless the government springs another surprise, Grantham Bowl will be launching its first ever car boot sale on Tuesday. Some staff will carry on working to run that.
The car boot sale, as reported by Nub News last night , will run on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
In his speech to the nation, the Prime Minister said there had been an increase in confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the UK and as well as in Europe.
Mr Johnson said: "On Saturday 1 August, you’ll remember, we had hoped to reopen in England a number of higher risk settings that had remained closed. Today, I am afraid we are postponing these changes for at least a fortnight.
"That means that, until 15 August at the earliest:
"Casinos, bowling alleys, skating rinks and remaining close contact services must remain closed.
Indoor performances will not resume.
Pilots of larger crowds in sports venues and conference centres will not take place.
Wedding receptions of up to 30 people will not be permitted, but ceremonies can continue to take place, in line with COVID-Secure guidelines.
"I know that the steps we are taking will be a heavy blow to many people – to everyone whose wedding plans have been disrupted, or who now cannot celebrate Eid in the way they would wish, I am really, really sorry about that. But we simply cannot take the risk.
"We will of course study the data carefully and move forward with our intention to open up as soon as we possibly can.
"Two weeks ago, I also said that from tomorrow the government would give employers more discretion over how employees can work safely – whether by continuing to work from home or attending a Covid Secure workplace. We know that employers have gone to huge lengths to make workplaces safe, so that guidance remains unchanged."